Friday 2 March 2012

Taco Salad


I was planning on trying out a new recipe for chipotle dressing to serve with this salad but I couldn't find the chipotle chilies in the store. But I will keep searching...stay tuned!

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 package taco seasoning mix (I use Old El Paso reduced salt taco seasoning)
1 cup water
Lettuce, spinach or assorted greens
Tomatoes, chopped
Sweet bell peppers, chopped
Green onions, chopped
Jalapenos, sliced
Shredded cheese
Fat free sour cream
Salsa

Directions:
Brown ground beef. Transfer the beef to a strainer and drain the fat. At this point I also give it a quick rinse under warm water - I know it may sound silly at first but it gets rid of the grease left on the meat (say goodbye to those extra calories!) and it still tastes the same in the end. 

Return beef to pan along with water and taco seasoning. Stir well. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 mins, or until liquid is absorbed.

Prepare a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, sweet peppers, onions and jalapenos. Top with beef, cheese, sour cream and salsa. If you wish you can also serve with some corn tortilla chips on the side.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment