Monday 20 February 2012

Cabbage Roll Casserole


It recently dawned on me that I have never made cabbage rolls…and the more I thought about them, the more I wanted them! I understand that making cabbage rolls can be time-consuming, so I decided to start with a simpler version. This met all of my expectations! All of the delicious flavour of cabbage rolls with very little work. The original recipe called for beef, but I have always associated cabbage rolls with pork so I decided to modify the recipe and it turned out perfectly. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!



Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground pork
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh ground salt & pepper, to taste
1-14oz can tomato sauce
1 can water
½ cup uncooked basmati rice
6 cups shredded cabbage (approx 1 lb)

Directions: Brown pork, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in a frying pan. Drain the fat. Add tomato sauce and water to the pan. Bring to a boil and stir in rice. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place 3 cups cabbage into the bottom of a casserole dish and cover with half the pork/rice mixture. Repeat the layers and bake, covered, at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. It may be refrigerated before baking. This makes 8 servings (1 cup each).

Recipe adapted from the Best of Bridge, Grand Slam Cookbook

Approximate nutritional information per serving (1 cup):
Calories: 205
Carbs: 19 g
Fat: 7 g
Protein: 14 g
Sodium: 64 mg
Fibre: 3 g

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment