Wednesday 8 February 2012

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal


Oatmeal is one of my favourite breakfast foods. Not only does it taste good, it’s low on the glycemic index and very filling. I'm always finding new ways to enjoy it. Today I made ½ cup regular (not quick) oats. I added a tablespoon of protein power and a few raisins. I also mixed in ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce, a sprinkle of cinnamon and ¼ of an apple (I save the rest of the apple for a mid-morning snack). Approx 265 calories with 24g protein and 7g fiber!

Note the Canadian Celiac Association states that commercial oats are contaminated with wheat or barley and therefore should not be consumed by individuals with celiac disease. There are some companies dedicated to producing oats that are free from contamination and these are considered safe to consume (although there are a very small number of individuals who cannot even tolerate pure oats). I buy Only Oats brand, Pure Whole Grain Rolled Oats, from my local health food store.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment